- In Vila Nova de Milfontes, beaches are part of the Southwest Alentejo and Vicentine Coast Natural Park, therefore have a distinguished and unique fauna and flora, as well as noticeable expanses of sand and a landscape filled with dunes and cliffs.
- The sea provides a perfect environment for Surfing, with a lot of waves and just a few surfers – uncrowded beaches.
- Surf is highly dependent on weather conditions, although predictable in the short-term, can change at any moment, wielding a great influence over the wind, swell and tide.
- There are excellent conditions for surfing during the entire year, especially in the Autumn and Spring.
- During the Winter, there are strong swells, ideal for those who want to acquire more experience and technique.
- During the Summer, waves are smaller, ideal for beginners, although there are still great conditions to Surf for those who already are in an intermediate or advanced level.
- The water is always cold, so students must wear a wetsuit. While in the Winter the water temperature varies between 14ºC and 20ºC, in the Summer it can achieve 25ºC.
Praia do Malhão
Located around 7Km from Vila Nova de Milfontes, belongs to the Vicentine Coast and it’s one of the beaches being awarded with the flag “Qualidade de Ouro” by Quercus, the Portuguese National Association for Nature Conservation, in 2018. Such recognition is only aimed at beaches in which the quality of the water is considered “Excellent” (according to specific ratings of the current legislation) during the five years prior to the award (between 2013 and 2017).
Most of our classes take place at Malhão Beach, especially during the summer, since it has a sandy bottom with several point breaks, ideal for any surfing level, from beginner to advanced. We have a wooden hut at the beach to store the equipment, which also represents an information point and the place where people may rent boards and wetsuits. During summer, the hut stays open every day and during winter only in the course of our lessons.
As an informative note, in the area located further to the north of Malhão Beach, the practise of naturism is allowed, having been converted into an official beach on 30th April 2019 through the approval and recognition of the Municipal Assembly of Odemira and the Portuguese Naturism Federation.
Praia das Furnas
River beach located in the southern shore of the Mira River, where it’s possible to have an outstanding view over the river mouth and the town. Like Franquia, Farol and Malhão, Furnas Beach also received the award “Qualidade de Ouro”, in 2018, by Quercus, the Portuguese National Association for Nature Conservation. In 2012 had been already chosen as “Melhor Praia de Rio” (Best River Beach) in the contest “7 Maravilhas – Praias de Portugal” (7 Wonders – Beaches in Portugal), based on three strategic axes: environment, tourism and water.
Since Furnas has a sandy bottom, although less exposed to the swell, gathers perfect conditions for surf classes with children and beginners. In general, it has small waves, which allows surfing lessons during the entire year, even during the Winter.