Surf Spots – Key elements to take into consideration
- Beaches within the Natural Park of Southwest Alentejo and Costa Vicentina, are endowed with a unique fauna and flora. Note the extensive sands and a surrounding landscape of jagged cliffs and dunes
- Ideal environment for surfing, with many waves and few surfers – beaches without crowds
- Excellent conditions for surfing throughout the year, especially in autumn and spring
- In winter, the swell is bigger and more consistent, ideal for those who want to gain experience and evolve in technique
- During the summer, the waves are much smaller, ideal for beginners. Since there are still excellent conditions for those who are already at the intermediate and advanced level
- The water is cold almost all year round, so it is necessary to wear an isothermal suit. While in winter it varies between 14ºC and 20ºC, in summer it can reach temperatures around 25ºC.
Surf Spots You Can’t Miss
Praia do Malhão
This distinction is only attributed to beaches whose water quality is recognized as “Excellent” (according to the classification of the legislation in force) over the last five years prior to the award of the prize (between 2013 and 2017).
It is precisely on this beach that our classes are held, especially during the summer. Due to the sandy bottom, which contains a wide choice of peaks, it is one of the ideal surf spots for any level of surf.
We even have a small wooden structure where the material is stored, which is also an information point and equipment rental. During summer, this space is open every day and in winter only during classes.
As a curiosity, in the northern part of Praia do Malhão the practice of naturism is possible. For this reason it became one of the official naturist beaches on April 30, 2019. It happened through the approval and recognition by the Municipal Assembly of Odemira and the Portuguese Federation of Naturism.
Praia das Furnas
In 2012 it was also voted “Best Beach in Rio” following the election of the 7 Wonders – Beaches of Portugal. This distinction was made based on three strategic axes: environment, tourism and water.
Because it is a sandy bottom beach and less exposed to waves, it has ideal conditions for classes with children and beginners. Generally speaking, it is one of the surf spots that allows classes to be held throughout the year, including in winter.